SLA Boys Program for Spring 2020
SLA has adopted the Lacrosse Athlete Development Model (LADM) from US Lacrosse, the national governing body for the sport. The LADM emphasizes small sided instruction and games, resulting in more touches per player and greater opportunity to grow with the sport. You can read more about LADM here.
Again in 2020, SLA will be offering both a Local Recreation lacrosse program as well as competitive league play through our continued membership in the Northern Virginia Youth Lacrosse League (NVYLL), one of the largest recreational youth lacrosse leagues in the country.
It is SLA's intent to offer both Local Rec and NVYLL options at the 12U and 14U age groups again in 2020, but overall registration numbers and player preference will determine the final shape of the offering at each age group. The 6U, 8U and 10U age groups will be Local Rec only. See the age group eligibility (by birth date) and program summary chart below.
There is a lot of information on this page and it should answer most, if not all, of your questions. Please read all the way to the bottom and then refer to our FAQ page. If you still have questions, please reach out to the SLA Boys Commissioner at
SLA 2019-2020 Boys Age Groups
Oldest Birth Date
Youngest Birth Date
*14U players cannot be in 9th grade; current 8th grade boys with birthdays before 3/16/2005 will be considered. If your son is in the 8th grade and has a birthday between 9/1/2004 and 3/15/2005, please reach out to the Boys Program Commissioner.
Note: All players must participate in the appropriate age bracket based on their birth month and year. No waiver requests to ‘play up’ in an older age group will be granted based on skill or ability; in unique cases of age/grade combination a waiver to ‘play up’ in an older age group may be considered. No player will be allowed to play down an age group.
INFORMATION SECTIONS BELOW:
- Local Recreation Division
- NVYLL Division
- Cost and Preseason Schedule
LOCAL RECREATION DIVISION
The Local Recreation playing option will feature small-sided instruction and all practices and games are in Stafford County. Season runs March through May and will consist of up to two practices per week and up to 6 games on Saturdays.
All first year players (players with no previous lacrosse experience...e.g. a spring season) MUST play in the Local Rec option. Second year players (one previous year of experience) should play in the Local Rec option, but can register to play in the NVYLL league with a coach's recommendation and a successful pre-season assessment to one of those teams.
Local Recreation division teams and final playing format will be determined in March after several group practices and once all registration numbers are known.
The first Local Recreation Division practice will be Saturday, March 7th at Embrey Mill Park (Field and times, TBD)
6U Age Group: LADM-related activities and lacrosse drills. Soft sticks, soft lacrosse balls, no protective equipment
[SLA will provide all sticks and needed equipment for this program. Boys will receive a 'loaner' soft stick to start, and then will be provided a regular boys lacrosse stick roughly mid-way through the program...parents need to buy nothing at this time; uniform jersey is optional; everything else is included]
8U Age Group: The focus at this age group is on learning the fundamentals of the sport, to include basic stick handling as well as basic team concepts. Teams will play games in a 3v3 or 4v4 format, on a modified field (60x35 yds), using regular sticks (can be shortened as needed), soft lacrosse balls, and full protective equipment (see "Equipment" below)
10U Age Group: The focus at this age group is on learning (and improving on) the fundamentals of the sport, to include basic stick handling, basic team concepts, and structured game flow concepts. Teams will play games in a 4v4 and a 6v6 format on a modified field (60x35 yds); players will use regulation sticks, regulation NOCSAE balls, full protective equipment (see "Equipment" below)
12U Age Group: Players at this age group can expect to play 7v7 modified field and/or 10v10, full field lacrosse (this may be modified to meet the development needs of registered players); and will utilize regulation NOCSAE balls, regulation sticks, and full protective equipment (see "Equipment" below)
14U Age Group: Players at this age group will be immersed in all lacrosse fundamentals and concepts to prepare them for high school lacrosse. This age group will likely play 10v10 full field lacrosse (although this may be modified to meet the development needs of registered players); and will utilize regulation NOCSAE balls, regulation sticks, and full protective equipment (see "Equipment" below)
The Northern Virginia Youth Lacrosse League (NVYLL) is a group of 24 recreation associations throughout northern Virginia (from Stafford County to Loudoun County) that band together to offer youth lacrosse at multiple skill levels. Although this league has sub-divisions for players of all skill levels, SLA's approach to this league is that it is for our more experienced players, especially ones who are looking for a broader exposure to the game and a more competitive recreational lacrosse experience. Participation in the NVYLL levels of play consists of up to three practices per week, an 8-game regular season and a playoff experience. The season runs from February (assessments) through early June (playoffs).
The NVYLL playing option is only available at the 12U and 14U age groups. All NVYLL age groups play 10v10 full field lacrosse.
- The player will be evaluated during pre-season skills assessments (February 1, 8, and 15). Weekday practices may begin as early as the week of February 17, depending on field and coach preference and availability.
- The final number of NVYLL teams at each age group will be determined by a combination of the overall number of players at each age group as well as the number and skill of those players desiring to play on an NVYLL level team
- NVYLL games are played throughout Northern Virginia with roughly half of a team's season played at our home field at Embrey Mill Park. Remaining games and playoffs will be outside Stafford County.
- Players desiring to play in the NVYLL program have a higher registration fee ($120 total) to cover additional expenses associated with the league (field costs, officials, league insurance, etc.). SLA's final number of boys NVYLL teams and rosters will be set in mid-February weather permitting.
- Because the NVYLL season begins earlier than our Local Rrec season, the ability to choose this playing option during registration will expire in early-February prior to team assessments beginning. Register for the NVYLL playing option by February 9th.
COST and PRESEASON SCHEDULE
2020 Registration Fees: $70 (Local Rec); $120 (NVYLL)
*A late fee of $35 will apply to the Local Rec Division registrations after March 1, 2020
**Registration fees do not include uniforms (see uniform section below)
NVYLL registration fees are higher due to additional costs associated with league play. Any player registered for the NVYLL program that is not assessed to a final NVYLL team roster will be moved to the Local Recreation Division and receive a refund for the $50 difference in registration fees.
SLA Appreciation Day at Dick's Sporting Goods (Spotsylvania Towne Centre): CONFIRMED for FEBRUARY 29TH, 12:00 - 4:00 PM
SLA 2019 Season Kick-off Day: Tentatively planned for Saturday, March 7, location TBD
Pre-season assessments and practices
- Week of March 9: Weekday practices begin (Locations TBD)
NVYLL: March 21, 28; April 4, 18, 25, May 2, 9, 16; (No games Easter or Memorial Day weekends). Single elimination playoff games will be held May 30-31, and June 6-7.
Local Rec: April 4, 18, 25; May 2, 9, 16
Practices are conducted at parks and schools throughout the county; 2020 locations per the team schedules on this site
NVYLL teams practice up to three times per week (coach discretion), Local Rec teams will practice up to two times per week...both divisions will play weekend games on Saturdays throughout the spring.
Practice days and times are subject to coach and field availability; practices will start no earlier than 5:00 pm on weekdays
In 2020, members will again order their uniforms directly from our selected vendor following the registration process.
Uniforms for 2020 will match those used 2017-2019. Uniforms are only required to be purchased this season if you are new to SLA, or if your previous uniform is too small or in bad shape. Uniform ordering information is included in the confirmation email you receive upon completion of the registration process.
***UNIFORM ORDERING DEADLINES:***
The uniform items are special order items that will become unavailable after the order deadlines. These items will ship about 4 weeks after each order deadline.
- First Batch deadline:
January 7, January 12, 2020 EXTENDED!!
- Second Batch Deadline: February 10, 2020
- Final Batch Deadline: March 1, 2020
- Sizing information will be available on the store website
- NVYLL players require both the reversible top and uniform shorts
- Local rec players require only the reversible top; shorts are optional
- Uniform numbers will be assigned by SLA based on availability; players do not get to choose their uniform numbers Uniform numbers used in previous seasons will be carried forward in an effort to avoid duplicates within age groups
- Uniforms will be shipped directly to SLA once the overall SLA order has been confirmed and processed by our vendor; uniforms will be received prior to first games and distributed to all teams; details TBD
The 2020 uniforms are identical to the 2017-2019 uniforms. If you are a returning player whose current uniform still fits and is in good shape, no purchase is required. New players and those requiring new sizes should purchase the required items.
EQUIPMENT Players must provide their own equipment
SLA has established a program to provide some equipment for sale at a reduced cost as well as a rental and loaner programs. More information is provided on our Equipment Rental page.
Please see the Equipment Exchange page on the menu to the left, under Equipment Requirements for our latest available items for sale and current pricing.
**Being new to lacrosse and trying to find the right equipment for an acceptable price can be challenging. If you have questions, or need some pointers, on what gear to get, where to get it and how to maximze your approach, please do not hesitate to ask the SLA Boys Commissioner at
. Many of us have been doing this for a while and are happy to help point you in the right direction.
EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS (Items are mandatory to practice or play):
1. Lacrosse Helmet - No hockey helmets
2. Lacrosse Shoulder Pads
3. Lacrosse Arm Pads - SLA recommends arm pads that cover the whole arm, not just the elbow
4. Lacrosse Gloves
5. Protective Cup
6. Mouthguard - Cannot be clear or white in color
7. Cleats - Plastic or rubber sole with cleats 1/2" or less in length. Recommend lacrosse, football, or soccer cleats. No baseball cleats.
8. Lacrosse Stick
9. Lacrosse Rib Pads - recommended for attackmen but not mandatory
10. SLA uniform - see uniform ordering section above
Goalie Equipment - players must possess all the equipment listed above plus:
1. Throat Protecter is required (SLA can loan)
2. Goalie Chest Pad (SLA can loan)
3. Goalie Stick (SLA can loan)
4. Shin Pads - Optional (soccer type only)